Monday, December 12, 2011

{Christ}mas Traditions

My FAVORITE time of year!!! I couldn't handle winter {I hate the cold} if it weren't for Christmas! This year is even more exciting because of our new addition to the family, and I can't wait to start making Christmas Traditions as the Big K Fam! 

For the past 3 years the Hubby and I have celebrated Advent during Christmas, and last year we added the tradition of a Jesse Tree. Traditionally, a Jesse Tree is suppose to have 40 ornaments {to go with the 40 day Advent celebration} but we chose to do only 25 days of ornaments. Here are the Jesse Tree Ornaments and Advent calendar I made last year:


Each day we read the scripture attached to the ornament and hang it on the tree. I love this activity for Advent because it really helps us focus our eyes and hearts on Jesus as we look forward to Christmas! I can't wait for Caleb to participate in this tradition!!!

Another tradition we have is to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus on Christmas morning before we open up gifts. This was one of my favorite things growing up because my parents would wake us up with bells {literally would hand ring bells} and blast the song "Happy Birthday Jesus". We would then grab a slice of cake and pass out gifts. 
The best part of living in DFW during Christmas is Grapevine!! There is so much to do during the holidays and I am so SO so excited about having a child so I can FINALLY do some of the activities without looking like a creeper! I have been dying to ride the North Pole Express in Grapevine, watch the Parade of Lights, and take Caleb to our annual Gaylord tradition of ICE! Grapevine is called the Christmas Capital of Texas for a reason!!!

Oh traditions, traditions! What are your favorite traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so don't be shy!